Monday, September 17, 2007






What a whirlwind the last few days have been. We went from a long plane ride to the Great Wall, which was beautiful. Then on to Tiananmen Square, which was crazy crowded and filled with many people who wanted to take Madi’s, picture and tell her how beautiful she is. At times it becomes overwhelming and a bit much. The Forbidden City was also so beautiful and huge. It just kept on going and going. It was great being able to walk through and learn so much history about it. I think the best part of the sight seeing thus far was a rickshaw ride through a traditional part of the city. We traveled through an area that is still occupied and got to see how many people live in Beijing. It was a real eye opener and made you really appreciate how much we all have. These people had next to nothing, not even their own bathroom facility. They have to take a bus a few stops to get to the public showers. We also had lunch at one of the locals home. I know it sounds crazy coming from me, but it was actually one of the best meals we had thus far in China. Who would have guessed? The entire experience was wonderful and I loved being able to see the “real” city and not just the tourist sections.

We are now in Guangzhou, southeast China, at a fancy hotel called the White Swan. The tourist sightseeing is over and now the real reason of why we traveled half way around the world to China begins. It is getting our daughter, Amelia. As Chris told you, we finally got her today. It was a funny way to enter our family in the hallway of the building with out Madilyn and I. She is a beautiful and curious little girl. I am not sure I should say little; she is quite tall for her age. My goodness, all of my children are going to be taller than me by 10. She is also quiet. I am getting nervous that once she gets back to Arlington she is going to be completely overwhelmed with our loud silly family. I guess she is just going to have to get used to it. Once again, Madilyn has been great and welcoming of another sibling into her life. She has been playing with her and enjoying interacting with her. She has only been with us for half a day and already she appears to be more comfortable with us then she was at the beginning. I hope this only grows every day.

We still have much to do for the adoption, but know we also will have down time to swim in the gorgeous pool and tour parts of the city. It is quite nice here, but I know I will be more than ready to come home when the time comes.

Much love- Sue

No comments: